Friday, August 30, 2013

Hope for UH in 2013


I was at the game and I have to say well done UH fans. For a Thursday afternoon game, I thought the 35,000 in attendance gave the game a great atmosphere even if 5,000 of them were SC fans.

I was so impressed with Hawai'i defense. I almost lost my voice every time they stopped the USC offense especially at that goal line stance and safety. Jerrol Garcia-Williams is a beast and a fast beast. He will be in the NFL very soon maybe after next season. He had 8 tackles, one for loss and one sack.The defense held their own during the first three quarters. After that i'm sure they ran out of gas because they were on the field for most of the game. The D line is stout. For the most part they stuffed USC running game in the middle. They moved USC's O line back and gave both Kessler and Wittek a hard time getting in a groove.

On the other hand I was so disappointed with the offense. I knew Taylor Graham wasn't going to be stellar in his first game in three and a half years. But if he and his receivers can get on the same page, this offense will be lights out. It will feel like the run and shoot again. I mean majority of the sets were double wide and in shotgun formation. The problem with that is we still don't have a strong offensive line and if the defense knows that they can stack the line and blitz every time. It was great to see the young backs for UH even though they did not produce much yardage in the game. Faga Wily seems like a young Joey Iosepa. He just needs to bulk up and he will be a bowling ball up the gut. Stephen Lakalaka was shifty and if the line made a hole I think he could have had great gains. Now the biggest question for me before the game was how fast Diocemy St. Juste would be live. I saw him on Youtube and he makes one cut and he's gone. Of course they played against a talented D line but I see promise in this guy. He is fast! I can't wait till he breaks one.

Now more on Taylor Graham. A lot of Hawai'i fans have a high expectation for the quarterback after Timmy Chang and Colt Brennan. So to think Graham can be just as good as the two mentioned IN THE FIRST GAME! C'mon guys! This was his first collegiate start ever. He will need two to three games to get the rhythm to play in Division 1 football. I know I schedule won't help his cause as he will face a couple of Top 25 teams in the first five games but he will get there and when he does we will have not a Timmy Chang, not a Colt Brennan. We will have a Taylor Graham!

Go Bows!

No comments:

Post a Comment